Friday, January 18, 2013

Discouraged

I decided today to start a new cross stitch, I'm waiting for my model stitch to arrive and am still uncertain about my vision so I picked one that I'm not going to be upset about if I completely screw it up.  I came away not feeling very great.  It was incredibly difficult for me to even thread the needle let alone see the squares on the fabric to get the needle through.  What if in exchange for having better vision I am no longer able to do this thing that I love?  I know that this is probably not the situation and I just have to be more patient but I am admittedly an anxious person and paranoid that this will end up being the case.  I can get needle threaders and giant magnifying glasses but if it's such an incredible hassle will I still enjoy it?  Anyway I won't know for a while I guess so why worry about it.  I'll show you my new project.
I documented this step by step in case anyone is interested in how you actually start a cross stitch.


This is one comes in a cross stitch kit.  The pattern has symbols on it representing certain colors and types of stitches so you also get a key.  A fabric, the thread, and a needle complete the kit.


Here is a better shot of the fabric, this is 18 count aida the count means how many stitches are in an inch, generally I work with 14 so this is a bit smaller and may be why it was more difficult (I hope).


Here is all the thread, I'm not a huge fan of it being packaged this way.  It's nice that it's already sorted but kind of a pain to keep tangle free.


Next I grid the fabric out, the pattern is in 10 x 10 squares so it's easier to figure out where you are if you mark the squares onto the fabric.  The ink is water soluble so when the project is done you just run it under water and it disappears.  Otherwise it would show up under the lighter colored thread.  I just learned this a few months ago and it has made me a much speedier stitcher!  You also find the center of the fabric (which is also marked on the pattern) and start there.  It's the big plus sign shown in the picture.


Last thing before you can start is hoop it up.  They make hoops in all sizes or shapes.  Some people use lap frames those are really nice as you don't have to hold the hoop in one hand and stitch with the other the frame just sits in front of you.  Another thing I've got that I'm going to try is Q-snaps, which are actually quilting frames but I've heard they work well for cross stitch as well.  This piece was too small for the Q-snaps I have though so it's on my smallest hoop.


This is as far as I got today :(  this took me a half an hour which is kind of ridiculous.  I'm really hoping it's just me getting used to the 18 count and that my eyes will get better in the next little while!


This is how it will looked when finished, if it ever gets there.  Let's face it between my two other WIP's and my model stitch I'm still waiting for this one might never get done.

Sorry that this blog is a giant pity party for myself but I am pretty discouraged at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. http://alextran.org/2010/10/07/my-prk-recovery-timeline/

    I just found this which makes me feel much better! I'm sure I'm just being impatient and it will just take more time before I can see sharply enough to cross stitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get there soon enough I'm sure! Love your new project, sooooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete